NOTE: THIS POST WAS WRITTEN 6/13/10. ALSO, IT WAS TURNING OUT TO BE THE LENGTH OF A NOVEL, SO I DECIDED TO SPLIT IT INTO 3 POSTS. ALSO, IF YOU’RE READING AND HAVE ANY OPINION, PLEASE COMMENT – I NEED HELP!
Blargh, so, I’m completely confused regarding baby items. We decided to just walk through Babies R Us (EDIT: and Buy Buy Baby) to see what was out there and just start getting an idea of what we’ll need and now I’m completely overwhelmed. My main confusion lies in strollers and cribs (they each get their own upcoming posts), since they seem to be the biggest purchases, but here’s a list of other questions I came up with as I walked around the store:
1. When we do register, do we register even for things that we won’t use for a while, like highchairs or really anything related to solid-food eating? Or do we just register for the immediate need stuff?
2. Bouncers/swings – do we need both? Is there much variation in quality here or do you just pick whatever you think is cute? How about the different motions – do we need a swing that goes back and forth AND side to side? Just one or the other – and which is better? One that has multiple recline settings? And what about that new one that glides? Both stores we went into, the gliding part was either broken or really jerky, so maybe not?
3. Monitors – Are the ones with video helpful or over the top? I’m a bit of a worrier and I can see myself finding peace of mind in the video – to be able to see that the baby’s still breathing, but Chris DOES NOT pay for peace of mind and thinks they’re over the top.
4. Pack n’ Play – What exactly is this used for? Do we leave it downstairs in the family room and put the baby in there for naps (if so, why not just take them upstairs?)? Or do I use it in our bedroom for the first few months so that I’m not smothering the baby in our bed (egads, I am waaaay too afraid to put the baby in our bed for fear of rolling over. Plus it’s a pretty soft mattress, and I’m pretty sure I’ve read in quite a few places that it’s unsafe for baby’s breathing and whatnot. Besides, I’d kinda like to keep it Chris’s and my bed.)? Is it just a playpen for later on? I don’t really get the concept.
5. If the above isn’t really intended for the first few months in the bedroom, what do you get? A bassinet or something? And how do I keep the cat out? Tossing her out of the room isn’t really an option because a) her life is already going to be disrupted – I’d rather not throw her out of her sanctuary as well, and b) I’m pretty sure she’d scratch at the door and meow all night, keeping everyone up anyway.
6. Baby gates – I guess this doesn’t really apply till the baby’s mobile, but if we put one at the top of the stairs, how does the cat get over it without tumbling down the stairs and breaking her legs? Anywhere else in the house, I don’t really foresee a problem.
<sigh> I expected today’s trip to be fun and light-hearted. But now, I’m overwhelmed and I have 33 tabs open in my browser researching baby stuff. I’m not even exaggerating. 33. I’m pretty sure I’m about to crash teh intarnets. Someone out there, just tell me what to buy.
EDIT (6/24/10): I have actually made some leeway in putting together a potential list of things to register for, but the questions above remain.