According to my Disney trip ticker, we’re 1 month, 1 week, and 3 days away from our trip!! Squeee! 😀 So, this week, I decided to make the personalized shirts I mentioned earlier for it! For materials, I shopped at Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, and Target. I got:
– cheap blank t-shirts (some long sleeve and some short) in black and gray. I actually needed to make 2 trips for these. After I washed the first blank shirts, some of them shrunk quite a bit, despite drying them on a low heat, so we needed bigger sizes.
– light shirt iron-on transfers (intended for the gray shirts, but only used on 2 shirts because they were turning out too transparent). One note here – I tried Printworks and Transfermations brands – Printworks was much better in terms of printing the designs. The Transfermations paper jammed every time. As for wear (fading, cracking, etc.) I have no idea yet.
– dark shirt iron-on transfers (I tried both above brands here too – I didn’t notice a difference this time, either in printing or ironing, but again, still don’t know as far as wear is concerned.)
– a cardboard t-shirt form
– a cheap iron (I left our better one at home. Hahaha, like I iron things anyway!)
– sticky Mickey head patches to sew onto the sleeves (like Champion shirts, lol)
I also used a cookie tray at some points because I didn’t have a flat/hard enough surface to iron on (not supposed to apply the iron-ons on the ironing board, and while the cardboard form was useful in centering iron-ons, it was leaving ridges in the print, so I needed something solid).
Because I’m not terribly good at creating decent patterns myself using only MS Paint, I got my patterns online at Disboards.com (there’s so many helpful and fun forums there, but I looked in the Creative DISigns forum specifically). I did have to make a few alterations to a couple designs (adding names and stuff), but most of the hard work was done by the lovely people on the forum.
So, without further ado, here’s the finished products!
Ta-da! Haha, well, I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, especially for my first iron-on experience. I did have a few errors, like the uneven top on that first shirt – I think I must’ve pulled up on the shirt somehow in the middle of ironing it, and slightly singing Chris’s version (which isn’t pictured) – but I’m not sure I could’ve known about that one. I followed the directions exactly. Also, I think a few might be slightly off-center or tilted, but I don’t think it’s too noticeable. I can’t wait till we get to wear them at Disney World! 😀